CJ cement hoppers


CJ 9 at Geelong, April 12 1978
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler

Number in Class 97
Number group 1 - 97
Construction period 1925 - 1961
In service 1950 - end
1979 recode VHCA
Where built Newport W.S.
DIAGRAMS (4) General arrangement of J wagon
Modeling
The CJ's were built to transport cement from Fyansford to Bandiana for the Kiewa Hydroelectric scheme, after this traffic finished the CJ's sole traffic was bulk cement from Fyansford to Arden Street (North Melbourne) in block trains. (they were coded CJF from 1966 - 1970) For a relatively small class the CJ's were quite interesting. 12 CJ's (51 - 54 and 80 - 87) were converted from J open hoppers (nos 1 - 12) assembled at Newport from parts by the American Car and Foundry Export Co. in 1925. For cement service the sides were extended, a roof with inlet hatches and modified gravity discharge doors were added. The other CJ's were built as cement hoppers but had their capacity extended by raising the sides/ends. Other variations are shown and explained in the "more photos" section.
Numbers Built Notes
1 - 50 (50) 1950 - 1958 built new
51 - 54 (4) 1959 ex J hoppers
55 - 79 (25) 1959 - 1960 built new
80 - 87 (08) 1959 - 1960 ex J hoppers
88 - 97 (10) 1961 built new


CJ 1 in "as built" condition 1950 (prior to having its roof raised to increase capacity)
BELOW: A rake of CJs in original condition at Arden St, July 1959
(Official VR photos)

Page last updated Mon, Jan 28, 2013