TP insulated boxvans


TP 4 at Melbourne yard, May 2 1978
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler

Number in Class 5
Number group 1 - 5
Construction period 1958 - 1967
In service 1958 - early 80's
Where built Newport W.S.
Diagram
More photos
Modeling TP 4 and 5 can be modeled using Steam Era Models kit #R11
These wagons were converted from standard T vans. Nos1,2,3 had 3 doors per side and were converted to TP's 1958 - 1959. Nos 4, 5 had a single door per side like a normal T van and were converted in 1967. They were primarily used to transport fruit from Mildura. The "P" stencil indicated that they could run on passenger trains and were equipped with taildiscs and lamp brackets. For most of their life they were painted in pass car red but toward the end some were painted in freight red.

TP 1 at Totenham, awaiting scrapping 1979

ABOVE: TP 2 at Dandenong, March 1979
photo courtesy Rob O'Regan

BELOW: TP 2 at Melbourne yard, May 2 1978
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler


TP 4 & 5 had a single door per side.

ABOVE: TP 4 at Melbourne yard, May 2 1978
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler


ABOVE: TP 4 at Melb Yard, 1978



TP 5 at Spencer Street, 1976.
Photo courtesy Peter J Vincent