ABOVE: K 184 in "as preserved" condition at Sth Dynon, 1979.
One of VR's most succesful classes of loco they were built over a 24 year period. A general purpose, light lines loco the K's had a very long career in all sorts of service from branchline passenger and goods work to pilot and banker duties and roadside mainline service. At the time of their introduction the standard turntable in Victoria was 50' too short to turn a K class without splitting the loco from the tender. Over the next decade many 50 foot turntables were lengthened to 53 ' to accomodate the K class. The biggest change to the class was equiping them with a Modified Front End which necessitated the fitting of smoke deflectors.
The majority of the class lasted into the 60's. No K class was ever converted for oil burning
K's 140 - 149 were built as K 100 - 109 and renumbered in 1940.
K's 186 - 192 had Boxpok driving wheels