ABOVE: Wendouree, looking towards Ararat, the had gates protected Forest St level crossing, the gatekeepers house on the left. (photo courtesy Chris Wurr)
Linton Junction was the junction for the main Adelaide line and the Linton and Ballarat Saleyards lines. After the two single linbes came together they became a double track section towards Ballarat. It also controlled movements over Gillies street by means of interlocked gates.
ABOVE & BELOW: The view from the back of a train heading down the cattleyards branch, Oct 20 1990. (photos courtesy Bob Wilson)
ABOVE: B 65 passes Linton Junction signalbox on the 6.55am Dimboola to Mebourne service. pass, Oct 27 1979. (photo courtesy Warren Banfield)
ABOVE: T 357 on a Ballarat to Ararat roadside goods in No. 2 road at Burrumbeet, May 18 1970. (photo courtesy Bob Wilson)
ABOVE: A pair of S class on a down "jet" exchange the staff by hand at Burrumbeet. Nov 2 1973. (photo courtesy Bob Wilson)
ABOVE: The view from T 351 on a down goods as S 302 thunders through Burrumbeet "on the auto" on the morning up Dimboola pass. Oct 27 1983. (photo courtesy Chris Wurr)
ABOVE: A down jet diverges into No. 2 road at Burrumbeet for a cross. Feb 16 1986.
ABOVE: Post 3 at Burrumbeet, the down departure home from No. 1 track. This style of post was solid wood with a cast iron finial and was the first type of post used when somersault signals were introduced. They were gradually replaced all over the system by the familiar lattice post but a few survived into the 1980s, Oct 27 1983. (photo courtesy Chris Wurr)
ABOVE: The up morning pass. from Dimboola to Spencer St. would have been right at 70 mph as it runs between Trawalla and Burrumbeet. The Western highway is seen on the left. 1974. (photo courtesy Trevor Penn)
ABOVE: Trawalla looking towards Melbourne circa 1930.
ABOVE: C 503 heads a down "jet" through a "switched out" Trawalla in 1984. This section of track (Ballarat to Ararat) was closed after the standard gauge via Cressy was completed in May 1995 and then re-opened in 2004 but now sees only a couple of railmotors per day.
ABOVE: Two R class on an Ararat bound enthusiast special fly through Trawalla. Sept. 1985
ABOVE: A down steel train waits in #2 road to cross an up train, the auto staff exchanger is set up for the up train circa 1986. (photo by Chris Wurr)
ABOVE & BELOW:The station building viewed from the north side. circa 1986 (photos courtesy Chris Wurr)
ABOVE: Beaufort looking towards Ararat, Feb 1982.
ABOVE: Beaufort signalbox and station building, Jan 11 1985. (photo courtesy Bob Wilson)
ABOVE: R 748, running on one cylider, limps through Beaufort light engine in 1967. (photo courtesy Bob Wilson)
ABOVE: The view looking west from Beaufort signalbox, circa mid 1980s. (photo courtesy Keith Lambert)
This is the content for Layout P TagABOVE: The signal frame inside Beaufort signlabox, July 2004. This frame was commisioned on March 13 1888 and de-commisioned on Sep 14 1988. (photo courtesy Bob Wilson)
ABOVE & BELOW: The view from the cab of the up afternoon Horsham pass as it arrives at Beaufort, 1985.
ABOVE: The afternoon down Dimboola pass powers out of Beaufort past the up distant signal 1981.
ABOVE: Middle Creek looking east, not long before it was bulldozed, 1981.
ABOVE: C 505 on a down jet passes the up home departure at Middle Creek 1981.
ABOVE: Middle Creek post 1, up distant signal. 1981
The station building with a combined ASM's residence at Buangor was burnt down on 1 April 1925. First up it was decided to erect a concrete DR but that idea, in 1927, was dropped and the station building from Pittong was carted by road and re-erected at Buangor, but without a verandah, and a new building erected for the signal bay. The building in the photo came into use on 7 Feb 1929, with the new signal bay in use on 21 August 1929. Notes by Des Jowett
ABOVE: The 8.30am Spencer St to Horsham pass. departs Buangor. 1975. (photo courtesy Trevor Penn)
ABOVE: A VR photo taken for the annual VR garden competition. April 1965. Photo looking towards Ararat.
ABOVE: Buangor in 1988 looking towards Ballarat.
ABOVE: Buangor circa 1930. BELOW: The same view in 1988. Considering the intervening 50 odd years not a lot had changed.