Scotchmere Street box was on the Fitzroy branch which opened May 8 1888, it had a 10 lever frame
As can be seen it controlled the junction of the double line onto the single line as well as controlling the interlocked gates.
A staff or tablet would have been handed up or collected from the train crew..
It had a short life: May 8 1888 until Feb 22 1895.
Passenger service to Fitzroy commenced with the opening of the line, (direct service from Spencer Street)
After the opening of the line to Preston Reservoir (Oct. 16 1889) the line was served with a connecting service.
Passenger service to Fitzroy ceased May 8 1892.
Thanks to Keith Lambert and Des Jowett for the above information.