CE passenger train guards/baggage vans

ABOVE: CE 5 at Spencer St, Dec 1980. (CE 5 is now preserved at Bright)

These guards vans were introduced at the same time as the AE and BE passenger cars and were a mainstay on VR passenger trains for the whole of their long lives. In later years most had sheetmetal covering the wooden sides below the bottom yellow band to prevent damage from parcels/luggage trolleys. They started being painted blue in 1954 for the Royal visit, (CE 34 was painted for the Royal train), by Nov 1957, CE's 17, 34, 35 and 36 had been painted blue, all were done by the early to mid 1960's.

1 - 16 were built as DVE class and recoded to CE in 1910

CE's 33 - 37 were built to a newer design with plain arched roofs and 2 axle bogies in 1924. In a 1930 a replacement was built for CE 15 (destroyed in a collision at Seymour) which followed the construction style of CE's 33 - 37.
At least one CE, 33, was painted in the short lived orange/silver paint scheme, it was painted in this scheme in Aug. 1982

Number in Class 37
Number group 1 - 37
Construction period 1906 - 1924
In service 1910 - mid 80's

ABOVE: DVE 1 as built in 1906 (photo courtesy Phillip Dunn collection)

BELOW: CE 1 at Spencer St circa 1974 (photo courtesy David Langley) 

ABOVE: CE 1 at Spencer St circa 1974. (photo coutesy David Langley)

ABOVE: DVE 6, circa 1908.

ABOVE: CE 6. photographed July 1979
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan

ABOVE: CE 6 at Spencer St
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler

ABOVE: CE 7 circa 1932.

ABOVE: CE 9 at Spencer St circa 1982. photo courtesy David Langley.


ABOVE & BELOW: CE's 11 and 16 mid 1930's. (note the "coffin chambers" on the non guards door end of  CE 11) 

ABOVE: CE 14 at Warnambool, 1979
Photo courtesy Geoff Winkler

ABOVE: A badly damaged CE 14 about to meet the scrappers torch, Newport mid 1980's

ABOVE: The first CE 15, photographed in March 1926, this van was written off after a collision at Seymour in 1930, a replacement was built in 1930,  BELOW

ABOVE & BELOW: The 2nd CE 15 at Traralgon, Oct 1976 (ABOVE) and (BELOW) at Spencer St Jan. 1983, shows the plain roof and 2 axle bogies
Both photos courtesy Rob O'Regan

ABOVE: CE 18, photo date: Oct 1985
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan

ABOVE: CE 19, photo date Aug. 1982
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan

ABOVE: CE 24 at Spencer Street 1978.

ABOVE: CE 27 on the up Overland at Spencer St. CE's 26 & 27 were built at Islington (SAR) in 1923 and were joint stock. photo circa 1969,  photo courtesy David Langley.

CE 29, photo date: Jan. 1983. Note the aligned bogies, as far as I know the only CE thus fitted
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan

CE 30 at Spencer Street, 1979

ABOVE: CE 31 photographed 1978.

ABOVE: CE 33, photo date: Jan. 1983 It is doubtful that any piece of rollingstock ever looked worse in the VicRail tangerine scheme than this! (photo courtesy Rob O'Regan)

ABOVE: CE 36 in red with its original 6 wheel bogies, note the outward facing  lights in between the main doors.  

CE 36, photo date: Dec. 1981, note the "Vinelander" stencil on the sill.
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan

ABOVE: CE 37, photo date: August 1984
Photo courtesy Rob O'Regan